Editor’s Note: Jack Lee is a member of the FB group who posted this review yesterday. I will be posting other reviews as well as they come in, but his perspective is great. – JB
My 25th birthday is this week so I decided to treat myself with a trip to the local Brooks Brothers. The collar on my favorite blue university stripe shirt has frayed so bad that I was in need of a replacement and the marketing for Bastain’s new “Brooksier” oxford shirts has been effective on me (following expensive brands on Instagram has not been kind to my wallet). I tried on the small and medium, determined that the small worked best for me, and bought three colors of university stripe: blue, green, and pink.
I am no Brooks oxford expert, but I’ve handled a few of varying ages and fits so I can compare the new shirts to those. I typically wear a 15-34 Regent fit and the new shirts remind me of that fit. The sleeve is shorter, measured at 33.5 inches before washing, and in my experience Brooks shirts typically shorten about an inch after a few rounds in the washer and dryer so I’ve been hang drying these to maintain the longer sleeve. I tried on the medium (the pink stripe fitting room pic) but the fit was too billowy and long for my taste. I could have had them all tailored but I didn’t want to spend the extra money.
The material is actually fairly substantial and feels firmer than some of the older MIUSA Brooks shirts I own. The collar holds its shape throughout the day and has a pleasant roll when worn without a tie, although I didn’t see much roll when I put on a tie. The collar point measures 3.25 inches. I love the colors I bought, especially the green and pink because they seem to be rare for university stripe. The blue is a shade lighter than the shirt it was replacing and not as rich in color, but it’s still nicer than other brands I’ve owned. The cuffs have two buttons, whereas my others only have one.
* Price is $90, which is just slightly more than what I used to pay for J. Crew shirts of much lower quality.
* The color selection is great. I love that I could find the pink and green.
* The fit isn’t too big or too small, but this is specific to me as a 5’10, 145lb person.
* The collar has a nice roll, but it looks better without a tie.
* A front pocket! Why did they take these off to begin with?
* These are made in Vietnam. You can get some good quality products out of Asia, but there’s still something appealing about an iconic American company making products in America.
* S,M,L,XL sizing makes it harder to get a perfect fit. I know that the sleeves will eventually shrink on these and be too short.
Overall I like these shirts and might include a few new colors on this year’s Christmas list. I hope this is helpful to anyone curious about the new shirts. Let me know if I can answer questions.