Some great submissions, thought I would organize them here and see if there are any more.
- Mitchell wrote about the Fun Shirt, but I think that IS in the canon, yeah?
- Elder Prep suggested cargo pants. This is a great suggestion. Utilitarian. For years they were all I wore in the winter on jobs. And do not gasp, but you get a tie, a vest, a wool sportcoat and the right boots, and cargo pants look great.
(Dowager Prep, in response gave a long list of no’s and then asked this, submitted for your consideration: “An off topic question for your readers: I see pincord suits all over the deep South down here where I live. But I never see them mentioned alongside seersucker in the acceptable canon of trad/ivywear. Curious, why is that?
3. Bopper suggested two things. Vintage Wing Tips (I would have thought those are in the canon anyway…?) and these:
4. Michael Powell dropped back and threw deep with the Greek Fisherman’s Cap. ” I vote yay for the Greek fisherman’s cap. Snazzier than a baseball cap. Not as stuffy as a fedora.”
5. Whiskydent (Someday I am getting the origin of that name) writes, ” I’m thinking flannel shirts, wool field jackets and boots. Stuff that goes with your LL Bean duck boots, which I consider Ivy. Filson and Orvis sell the kind of stuff I’m talking about. Could this be where Ivy ends and Trad begins?” I have llllooonnnggg made the argument that if duck boots are Ivy, then these are too:
That right there is the Filson Uplander Chukka. Sadly not made anymore but if you can find a pair, by all means.
6. Roger Sack proposes Oxford Cloth Pajamas. You listening, Classic Fella? Yep.
7. David Sullivan stole my thunder but it is my fault because I didn’t post this article I wrote first. He says, “The adopting of technology into the traditional, for example I wear a watch (traditional mechanical) on my left, non-dominant wrist and an Apple Watch on my right, it allows me to access information on my phone without having to remove said device all the time.” I do the same with a Whoop (BECAUSE I GO TO THE GYM HOW ON GOD’S GREEN EARTH IS THAT NOT IVY YOU DO KNOW JFK SWAM EVERY DAY?!?). I have a whole post almost ready to go on tech pieces that should be acceptable, but until then, Mr. Sullivan, bravo.
8. Hardbopper suggested Spectator Shoes with a Seersucker suit. I couldn’t pull it off but that doesn’t mean it’s not a thing. Here:
9. Finally, McBindle votes for the Goretex jacket. Which one? He does make a great point about frugality and regional authenticity though.
Ok, your turn.